radical suggestion for fc4 release

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Feb 1 10:07:09 UTC 2005

> On 01/31/2005 11:09:18 PM, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>> Perhaps you could leave the full ChangeLog in the .spec file, but
>> instruct rpmbuild to completely remove the ChangeLog except the last
>> 10 entries.

> or last two years - which sometimes is less than 10 entries.
> I find them useful - to see how packagers dealt with specific changes
> in the distro layout/functionallity in the past. But over two years is
> not that useful.

For the PostgreSQL RPMs I only kept the changelog for the current major
version.  I put a pointer at the bottom to look at the previous versions.
Otherwise it would be over a thousand lines of changelog by now.

This makes sense for PostgreSQL, which typically has had quite significant
spec file revisions between major versions, things like entire subpackages
being removed, added, etc.  The build process has had to be completely
started from scratch before due to improvements in the build (versions
prior to 7.1 took significant steps to fully build all the various pieces;
beginning with 7.1 the build was simplified somewhat.  The 6.3.x builds
can only be described as baroque.)

--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology