radical suggestion for fc4 release

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 15:28:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 16:02 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 09:50 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > I look forward to building pathological packages that have a requires
> > on a CVE name provides.
>
> fedora-secure-system
>
> could require all the CVE's that are ciritical to be fixed
> yum update fedora-secure-system
> would then only pull security updates down....

This sort of requires a way to handle packages that you don't install -
for example package flurble needs an empty package not-flurble (which
conflicts with flurble) so that when CAN-9999-999 is issued for flurble,
which then means fedora-secure-system now requires CAN-9999-999, a new
empty not-flurble can also provide the CVE name.

The alternative is that following a CVE issue everyone's box gets a
(hopefully fixed) version of the vulnerable package even if they were
not running in previously.

This makes my head hurt.

	Nigel.