system-config-printer

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 1 22:05:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 12:11 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:

> Does anyone have ideas for how system-config-printer should be
> re-written?

The interaction designers are probably more than willing to help, that's
my suggestion for how to start.

I think they've already done a design for the "desktop user" case which
is eggcups, HAL, etc. - there's work left in some of the details,
mclasen can probably give you more info.

The remaining design would be the sysadmin UI, primarily for configuring
a print *server*. There's a general problem here that we need to define
a uniform approach for sysadmin tools, maybe some idea of "sysadmin
console" - [insert long thread here] - anyway, totally ignoring the
question of how that works, I question whether it's worthwhile to
rewrite the system-config-* stuff with an admin target before we have
some kind of big picture plan on the sysadmin front.

What we can definitely do immediately though is address the desktop user
UI (for printing and the rest of system-config-*). We already have a
substantial start on this in the form of NetworkManager, printing stuff
in FC3, etc.

Trying to write one tool for both admins and desktop users is totally
wrong IMO and perhaps the biggest reason why system-config-* is
problematic.

Remember also the goal that the desktop user UI doesn't involve su to
root or modifying the root filesystem... that bit is already working for
printing so not too hard.

Havoc