ntpd startup too early + hangs

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Wed Feb 2 18:21:14 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 February 2005 02:10, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > Crazy idea: shut off all the daemons that need network (from normal
> > init processing) and then only spawn them when appropriate from
> > NetworkManager.
>
> FYI, I just started a thread on this in comp.protocols.time.ntp,
> gateway'd to the ntp-questions mailing list:

The idea was to come up with a generic solution rather than escalating
it upstream to ntp. Sendmail has similar problems.  Postfix doesn't
start unless listed interfaces are active.  All of these require a
re-look at the relationships and dependancies of the scripts found
in /etc/init.d/  NetworkManager or a similar tool would be beneficial
to "guide" this portion of the bootup process.

--
-jeff