ntpd startup too early + hangs

Ralf Ertzinger fedora-devel at camperquake.de
Thu Feb 3 18:09:30 UTC 2005

Hi.

Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:

> Longer term, perhaps Postfix could be modified to provide two services,
> org.postfix.LocalMTA and org.postfix.MTA, and only org.postfix.MTA
> depends on org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Link or whatever.

On the other hand I might be confused about the kind of problem we are
trying to solve here.

Taking postfix as an example again.
If the system has fixed IP addresses, there is no need to delay the start
of the service. ifconfig the interfaces, start postfix, done. If the interface
is actually up (in the sense of "has a link") does not matter.

If the system has a dynamic IP (via DHCP or something like that), who would
configure a listening daemon on this machine which does _not_ bind to 0.0.0.0?
Since you do not know your future address, you can not enter it in the
config. And (unless I am mistaken), binding to 0.0.0.0 catches interfaces
which are brought up later, too.

This leaves the last case: static addresses via DHCP. Similar to case 1,
unless the DHCP server fails.

Are we talking about case 3 here? Or am I missing something?

--
"If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape one hundred
days of sorrow."  -- Chinese Proverb