Slab: in /proc/meminfo not corrent in recent kernels?

Wes Shull wes.shull at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 07:50:42 UTC 2005

I wrote:
> I'll do some slabinfo
> capture/comparison immediately on a fresh reboot, and just to single
> as well to see what kind of difference that makes.

Ok, done sooner than I thought.

http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~wes/debug/

The runlevel 5 ones aren't from separate boots, I just telinit 5'ed
after grabbing meminfo and slabinfo.  And the dmesgs are really from
/var/log/messages, but who's counting.  (And yes, I know /dev/hdg is
dying, no system stuff on there)  Unfortunately, I don't know the
significance of (m)any of the entries in the slabinfo, although I do
note that dentry_cache accounts for roughly 10 MB of the difference...

Hopefully some kernel gurus can tell if this behavior is a problem or
not.  Or maybe a side effect of debugging stuff?

--wes