rawhide report: 20050205 changes

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sun Feb 6 09:21:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 20:05 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> said:
> > > coreutils-5.2.1-38
> > > ------------------
> > > * Fri Feb 04 2005 Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> 5.2.1-38
> > > - Special case for ia32e in uname (bug #145266).
> >
> > this is wrong. Very wrong.
> > uname should report x86_64 for both AMD and Intel 64 bit x64 machines.
> > The architecture is x86_64. No ifs or buts.
>
> I'm not sure what the special case is, but the implementations are
> somewhat different.  Why shouldn't that be like:
>
> kosh:38:~$ uname -p
> athlon
> kosh:39:~$ uname -m
> i686
> kosh:40:~$ uname -i
> i386

this is already wrong. The "athlon" hack is *WRONG*.  Athlon is a
marketing name, it could just as well be a duron or a sempron.
It was a mistake to put the athlon hack in uname (but hindsight is
easy); it's imo very wrong to repeat that mistake.

Note that what you show is incorrect already if you are on a newer
machine, it should report athlon64. Or opteron. Or sempron.

It's better to report more generic information than specific information
which is incorrect, since that is actually far less useful than
returning the somewhat more generic but correct information.