beecrypt-java (Was: rawhide report: 20050207 changes)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Feb 8 22:39:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le lundi 07 février 2005 à 23:59 +0100, Axel Thimm a écrit :
> > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:34:10PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > > Do you imagine the mess if ~ 1000 java-something hit rawhide ? Because
> > > we have this number of java packages in jpackage.
> >
> > Regardless of naming issues, are indeed 1000 packages waiting to be
> > imported into rawhide? I.e. will all of jpackage be imported?
>
> I don't think so (who knows;)
> But if the java-xx virus caughts on we'd have to preemptively rename a
> lot of stuff just in case it gets imported someday (to avoid packagename
> conflicts later)
>
> Not fun at all;(

Well, that's why a policy should have been made at the very start. Naming
is very important and the lack of a naming policy is causing all sorts of
confusions and problems (like the lack of a 'virtual package' namespace).

And the longer we wait, the more messy it becomes the day one is
required. Unless it is worked around by adding complexity/layers.