grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Feb 15 10:05:30 UTC 2005

On Mar 15 février 2005 4:41, Rodd Clarkson a écrit :
> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 21:31 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
>>On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:25:46PM -0800, Denis Leroy wrote:
>>> So why couldn't the Fedora project ask Fraunhofer (a german company,
>>> btw, so all this talk about 'Mandrake is a french company and not
>>> affected by patent law' seems rather weak) for permission ?
>>
>>Fedora is a free software project. Note that the Fraunhofer comment was
>> about
>>free (as in beer) not free as in price. So again we'd screw all the
>> people who
>>build things on Fedora or make CD images.
>
> Okay, but this is the bit I struggle with in regard to the idea of a
> community process for Fedora Core.

[...]

> Or why should FC care whether third parties (in some countries) who can
> download the ISO's and then charge per CD-ROM might be affected by the
> software included.

1. FC is not the ultimate source of all its components - why should
upstream projects care about FC if it doesn't care about its downstream ?

2. I think you severily underestimate the contributions of downstream
projects - if you play nice with downstream downstream will play nice with
you and contribute developpers/packages to FC. A lot of the people
contributing things for FC extras now come from what can be considered
downstream projects : livna, dag, aurora...

Getting the relations right with upstream and downstream is one of the
main points of Fedora - this is what RH was about to lose when RHEL was
launched.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot