RPM needs to go on a diet.

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 18 00:26:39 UTC 2005

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Jeff Johnson writes:
>
>> Look there's a really simple answer to hardlinks and rpm and more:
>>
>> Choose a kernel, use that.
>>
>> Chose another kernel, use that, get rid of previous.
>

> This might've been a prudent approach for the days long gone.  But, in
> the age of Fedora, I'm not that optimistic.

It's still a prudent approach, not much has changed with FC-devel nee
rawhide, for a very long time.
FC-devel is a development tree, there is breakage. If you want to see
the breakage, well it's there
for all to see.

> Just recently I had to temporarily roll back a few kernel builds.
> Something broke in usb-storage.  I didn't notice it for a while,
> because I don't use my digital camera that often.

What has changed is expectations, a couple years back you wouldn't have
even noticed if your
digital camera broke.

What has also changed is the flood of kernels and the rate of change.
The bits are still borken.

> I now keep a minimum of current+three previous versions of the
> kernel.  Plus -smp.

There's an optimum point between prudence and keeping every kernel ever
pushed
through yum installed. If that is 3 for you, that's fine, rpm and
hardlink prolly have tolerable
performance there.

73 de Jeff