Running with vm.overcommit_memory=2

Tyler Larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Sat Feb 19 06:50:39 UTC 2005

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
>>How much memory does it take to clone() a bash?
>>

> $ ps -o size,vsz,rss,args
> SZ  VSZ  RSS COMMAND
> 1428 6244 2212 -bash
>
> About 1428MB, I guess. Not that it would be consumed, but that the
> kernel must guarantee to be available.
>
> Regards,
> Luciano Rocha

Erm.. Perhaps I'm a bit behind on things, but I though the SZ field
shows the number of pages that a process is using, not the number of
Megs guaranteed. That'd make your estimate just a few orders of
magnitude high.

The VSZ will give your answer in bytes rather than pages. That's the
total process size in virtual memory, displayed in KB. The RSS is the
amount of that's actually IN memory. The discrepency between these
numbers would then indicate, at least in a crude way, the difference
between what the app thinks it's using versus what the OS actually has
tied up in the process.

So, you're looking at something more along the lines of 6MB, rather than
1.4GB; with 2M actually used.

Someone care to check my math?