FC4 slimfast slimfest

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Feb 21 21:02:04 UTC 2005

On 02/21/2005 12:35:34 PM, Elliot Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a heads up that we need to get rid of about 300M of packages
> make sure that FC4 continues to fit on 4 CD's. Right now eclipse,
> xfce,
> xemacs, cfengine, and all the games are leading candidates. We also
> may
> try to start removing stuff from Core in hopes that it will appear in
> Extras if someone cares about it.

I would take a look at the alternatives that aren't planned to be
pushed - like AbiWord, Gnumeric, Balsa

Now - those particular packages are packages I personally use quite a
bit as I don't use OO.o or Evolution - but if they remained in Extras,
I would still be able to install them and thus be happy. I would prefer
they were on the core install, but they _are_ alternatives that
duplicate functionallity to what is installed by default when you click
the "Desktop" install.

As long as there isn't a delay for Extras for fc4 like there was for
fc3 (IE the day fc4 ships, I could yum install them)

Epiphany is another one - I was a die hard epiphany fan, but firefox
really is that good.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/