FC4 slimfast slimfest

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Feb 21 21:29:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:54:20 -0700, Joshua Eichorn <josh at bluga.net> wrote:
>
> > How about dropping some of the random documentation rpms we keep around,
> > they don't follow a pattern anyway (ie we have exim-doc but no
> > postfix-doc, we have python-doc but no php-doc or perl-doc)
>
> Let me point out a hidden constraint for this fc4 timescale. You have
> to think in terms of 'srpms' subpackages can only be dropped..
> subpackages can not be moved out of Core into Extras. The -doc
> packages you describe are actualy subpackages built from the same srpm
> as the related runtime package. Its inappropriate to drop
> documentation completely.. and since they are subpackages from the
> same srpm you can't move them across the Core/Extras boundary. So
> really the packages you suggest are non-starters.. unless package can
> be re-engineered so that the docs are built from their own seperate
> srpms.

What you could do is have a subset of packages in the repository, but not
on the CD. I don't think there is a rule that everything in Fedora Core
has to be on the CD or that the repository should equal the CD content.

RHEL already does this and has extra packages (mostly -devel stuff) in a
special repository. You could release the CD with less packages and
release the extra packages in the updates repository at the same time. (I
like that more than having yet another repository)

Just a thought.