FC4 slimfast slimfest

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Feb 21 23:04:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:50:03PM -0500, Aaron Luchko wrote:
> Is it really necessary that we have mozilla and firefox, thunderbird and

I recently had a situation where a .swf wouldn't work using the
Macromedia repo's flash plugin on firefox, but it worked fine in
mozilla.  Not sure why.

> evolution, abiword, gnumeric and OpenOffice.org, there are a lot of
> areas with redundant packages in core.  As well larger games like
> tuxracer while nice aren't really necessary for something like core.

I agree that games aren't really "core" and could be moved to Extras.
Maybe just keep the basic games that are included with GNOME/KDE.

> As it is currently a jvm is one of the first things downloaded by a
> significant portion of users and java is used by a wide variety of apps.
> I think functionality as important as java really needs to be left in
> core.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the stuff in FC-devel can be used
to replace a jvm for web applets.