FC4 slimfast slimfest

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Tue Feb 22 04:00:55 UTC 2005

David Woodhouse wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 17:13 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
>

>>Shove exim in extras then. Lets have one of everything (including databases)
>>in the base except where the are real divides (Gnome/KDE)
>>

>I'd rather put sendmail and/or postfix in Extras instead. There's a
>reason Debian has the default it does.

I dont want to make this a sendmail/postfix/exim/other email server war,
but I think that is a little too much...
Just because one distribution ships exim/koffice/put your favourite app
here as default , it doesnt necessarily mean that's the right choice for
all distributions.

IMHO , Fedora should ship only one mail server/one app (maybe chosen by
% of users?) in the main CDs.
My suggestion:  in FC4 , ship only one server of each type (no
alternatives) and put them on an alternatives repository (after all,
most users that require something different
already know how to use yum or apt). Then , for the next Fedora releases
, it would be interesting if anaconda was hacked to be able to use extra
cds. This way , it would be possible
to use an "alternatives" cd during install , for example.

As for the space spent on mirrors , we could always use jigdo ;)

--
Pedro Macedo