FC4 slimfast slimfest

Paul A. Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 22 13:27:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:30:14 -0700, Joshua Eichorn <josh at bluga.net> wrote:

> I would also like to point out, the exim docs are a good example of
> general space waste on docs packages, it contains html, pdf, ps, and
> texinfo docs so the same content 4 times (so im guessing just with some
> new configure flags could take 1/4 the space).
> -josh

	The thing I hate most about modern *nix is the proliferation of different
documation formats.  In the good old days we had man pages.  Then Sun came
along and introduced it's own system that was graphical and all but was
really worse than man pages.  Then there's info and docbook and programs
that have HTML documentation and PDF documentation,  and...

	This nonsense caused about ten minutes of extra downtime for a production
system when I did something dumb that overwrote the module utilities:  the
2.6 module utilities source doesn't just have man page source in it,  but
it compiles the pages out of docbook source.  Well,  this is RHEL 3 and
you wouldn't expect it to have packages that work,  so to get "make
install" to work I had to smash the Makefile so it wouldn't try to compile
them.