FC4 slimfast slimfest

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Feb 22 16:41:16 UTC 2005

On 02/22/2005 05:27:49 AM, Paul A. Houle wrote:

> 	The thing I hate most about modern *nix is the proliferation of
> different documation formats.

Yes.
I think every command expected to be run from the cli should have a man
page. And not a man page that says "please see the info page"

Every gui app should have documentation in scrollkeeper.

That's my opinion, but whatever is chosen - it should be chosen and
stuck with, and projects that use different documentation methods
should have bugs files against them so that document writers can know
what needs to be done.

Huge documentation such as the php manual etc. obviously are not a man
page, and are not a gui app and thus not a scrollkeeper issue - for
those, texinfo has a high value because they can be exported from
texinfo to many types of documentation as needed (pdf, html, etc.)

following the documentation guidelines could (should?) even be imposed
as a requirement for a new package being excepted in Fedora Extras.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/