FC4 slimfast slimfest

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Feb 22 18:24:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 01:00 -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
>I dont want to make this a sendmail/postfix/exim/other email server war,
>but I think that is a little too much...
>Just because one distribution ships exim/koffice/put your favourite app
>here as default , it doesnt necessarily mean that's the right choice for
>all distributions.

That's true, but in this case Debian happens to have it right. We should
do what Debian does here because they're _right_, not just because
they're doing it and we have to follow.

>IMHO , Fedora should ship only one mail server/one app (maybe chosen by
>% of users?) in the main CDs.

Whatever we ship as default will have the largest percentage of users --
if it worked like that we'd never make any progress. If we switch the
default, people who already have experience of a mail server can always
switch to whatever they prefer, while the newbies get something which is
well-documented, versatile and easy to work with.

--
dwmw2