FC4 slimfast slimfest

Tyler Larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Tue Feb 22 19:43:11 UTC 2005

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Tyler Larson <fedora-devel at tlarson.com> said:
>
>>However, I really like the idea of installing a base OS from just one CD
>>and installing the rest of the system using yum or up2date. After all, most
>>users will have to update the majority of the packages they've just
>>installed immediately after their first boot.
>

> That still assumes everyone has high-speed bandwidth available, which is
> a broken assumption.

I'm certainly not suggesting that EVERYONE needs to install that way. But it
would be nice if it were easy to do.

> I am disappointed that the setup for Fedora Extras is to just have a
> rolling-update tree with no ISOs.  That makes FE packages second class
> citizens.

That's a good point. There really SHOULD be a set of Extras ISOs available.
Even if those ISOs are nothing more than a snapshot of the Extras tree at the
time the release. And those extras SHOULD be installable from Anaconda/S-C-P
-- even if they're put under a separate "Extras" heading.

Moving packages to Extras is tantamount to removing them completely if those
packages--to paraphrase Pirates of the Caribbean--"cannot be found except by
those who know where they are." These things will have to be installable from
a user-friendly interface. Otherwise, Extras is just another 3rd party repo.