Exim as default MTA.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 22:00:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:50:46PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Exim would be a far better default, because it's far easier to configure
> and far better documented. In FC4 it ships with TLS enabled by default,
> and SMTP AUTH support present but commented out in the specfile. It also

I must disagree. If the user has to know what the mail system is you've
already failed the main usability test for "the general user". If they know
what they are doing then they probably have an opinion already and a preferred
app, and can also work yum/up2date.

The point at which you start saying things like "we should use sendmail" with
that kind of user I think personally is the point at which you ship xyz
mailer because the GUI configuration tool supports it seamlessly