FC4 slimfast slimfest

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Wed Feb 23 20:07:13 UTC 2005

Dnia 23-02-2005, śro o godzinie 19:49 +0000, David Woodhouse napisał(a):
> Given that the Extras ISOs will be built
> separately from the Core install ISOs, how will it know about them and
> have them hard-coded? Surely it has to be flexible enough to accept
> extra CDs which are generated _later_ than the Core install tree?
Yes, but Extras will be distributed by the same vendor, and Livna won't.
The user will have to know about it and download additional iso from
some site he doesn't know about and burn additional few-megabytes CD, or
type in the yum/apt repository address of the same site (which he
doesn't know about) upon/after install.

Although it's possible to respin FC including Livna or Freshrpms, no
magazine I know of have decided to do that on their cover disks,
providing Fedora users incomplete desktop experience, while the other
cover distros seem much more complete out of the box. I can make such
disks and sell them/give them out to my friends, but how many people
will still think Fedora simply "doesn't work"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Fedora aiming at being the desktop
distro to steal marketshare from Windows, or being a distro for
enthusiast Linux gurus loving to type three-line commands on their
terminals in order to print file or burn it onto CD-R? I thought we're
at least aiming to eventually becoming the former...

Lam