FC4 slimfast slimfest

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Feb 23 21:57:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:30:31 +0100, Leszek Matok wrote:

> Dnia 23-02-2005, __ro o godzinie 22:08 +0100, Michael Schwendt napisa__
> (a):
> > Users of a popular other operating system do that always for many (!)
> > additional applications.
>
> Well, you may be right about applications which aren't present on the
> system. But XMMS is expected to be included and it is included, only it
> doesn't play most of music people have in their libraries. It can
> encourage them to encode oggs using grip if they have the CD-s (it only
> takes time), but some of their music will remain in MP3-s. Inclusion of
> castrated XMMS version makes impression that Linux has WinAmp-clone,
> only it doesn't play music :) Of course this is the first impression,
> but first impression is the most important! :)

No. The first impression is a graphical dialogue which pops up and
explains the situation. Because exactly that is what happens in XMMS when
user tries to play an mp3 file. User will then see where to get a full
version of XMMS or an alternative media player. E.g. rpm.livna.org has
BMP now.

> > Widely spread FAQs and HOWTOs will guide newbies
> > appropriately, e.g. like http://fedorafaq.org does nowadays already.
>
> Straight that up for me again: if fedorafaq.org tells about ways to
> enable MP3 support and others, can Red Hat make link to it from the
> Mozilla home page (file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html in FC3) or
> would it be contributory infringement?

IANAL. Future will tell us.

It's not possible to generalise. With regard to mp3, I believe that
pointing end-users to software like XMMS can be done.

--
http://www.newsforge.com/business/02/08/29/1633205.shtml?tid=17
"No license fee is expected for desktop software mp3 decoders/players that