Fedora Core 4 Test 1 Status - Slip

Pedro Lamarão pedro.lamarao at mndfck.org
Thu Feb 24 03:28:55 UTC 2005

Bill Nottingham wrote:

[SNIP]

> - What's so cool about GCC 4.0?
>
>   GCC 4.0 includes:
>
>   - new intermediate languages that allow for new/better optimizations
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/tree-ssa/
>
>     As part of this, this allows for better compile and run-time memory
>     checking and overflow protection.
>
>   - better and more complete Java support
>   - Fortran 95 support

- The default C++ allocator is non-generic and optimized for
multithreaded applications.
   If I recall correctly, OpenOffice.org relies on libstdc++.

- GCC 4.0 offers the possibility of defining symbols as "hidden",
minimizing the overhead of shared object dynamic loading.
   There's some information on how this is useful here:

   http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

A full list of the great new features is on:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html

--
  Pedro Lamarão