FC4 slimfast slimfest

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Feb 24 13:07:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 13:40 +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> In that case I would be curious about the reasons which make exim more
> "right" than say postfix, otherwise it's only an "everyone wants his
> pet MTA" thing.

Exim and Postfix are way ahead of sendmail, which should probably be
dropped in FC5 when it's sane to start dropping packages to Extras; more
than that is somewhat subjective.

Both Postfix and Exim should remain, but it's just a question of which
is the default. I'd go for Exim -- it's very well documented, fully IPv6
capable, at least as easy for the newbie to configure as postfix is, and
seems to be far more versatile for those who want to go a little
further. We ship it ready to do SMTP AUTH and automatically use
SpamAssassin to reject mail at incoming SMTP time, for example, rather
than only feeding it to SA later when it's too late because we've
already accepted it.

Right now, Postfix scores some points back by being SE-enabled, but Exim
will catch up on that front very soon; probably before test 1 even.

Postfix loses points for the fact that the admins of freedesktop.org
were unable for months to persuade it to send mail to a domain whose
primary MX was IPv6-only. I don't know if it's fixed even now the open
relay thing has been fixed -- they put an explicit route in for me in
the end, I think. That's not something I'd want a Fedora newbie trying
to diagnose.

--
dwmw2