reducing distribution CD count

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Feb 24 17:42:50 UTC 2005

David Woodhouse wrote :

> On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 12:21 -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > The disadvantage is that people somehow see moving from Core to Extras
as
> > an insult against their package, which couldn't be farther from the
> > intention.
>
> If we've given up the goal of cutting the i386 install down to 4CDs, we
> really ought to wait till anaconda can handle Extras properly in FC5
> before we go dumping packages there. For upgrades to FC4, if the package
> is in Extras it might as well not exist.
>
> > > - Both tuxracer and bzflag were removed, but many people (Havoc,
> > >   Alan) definitely want at least one good 3D game to "show off".
> >
> > It can be showed off without being included in Core.
>
> Not until FC5, it can't.

My thoughts exactly. The cutting off is a bit too premature IMHO, and my
concerns aren't related to certain software being perceived as becoming
"2nd class", but more to the fact that we won't be able to trivially get
this software on FC4 systems (I'm not thinking of my own computers but
those like my dad's, sitting behind a modem connection with only s-c-p to
manage installed software).

Given how we are headed for FC4, things _can't_ be showed off easily
without being included in Core, or at least that's the impression I have,
and will still have until anaconda evolves or that we're sure to have
rebuilt Extras on the day a new FC is released...

Alright... </rant> ;-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.10-1.766_FC3
Load : 1.31 1.35 1.48