Why is sendmail bad?

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Feb 24 21:17:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 02:56:11PM -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Really?  I disagree.  I hardly know anything about mail servers, yet I exim
> allows me to run spam and virus checking by simply uncommenting one line.
> And unlike sendmail, I didn't have to explicitly enable outside connections.

Bug not feature.  The default sendmail configuration explicitly disables
outside connections for a reason.  They shouldn't be enabled unless you're
running a real server that needs outside connections, and you shouldn't be
running one if you "hardly know anything about mail servers."

Besides, enabling outside connetions is simply commenting one line which
is heavily documented in the four lines above it in the default sendmail.mc.
As you yourself already stated, commenting and uncommenting one line is a
simple matter, easy to do, especially with such explicit instructions. :)

John