rawhide report: 20050222 changes

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Thu Feb 24 22:41:20 UTC 2005

tor 2005-02-24 klockan 22:52 +0100 skrev Nicolas Mailhot:
>BTW on the whole slimming process :
>
>I do think more will be achieved by making network installations more
>convenient than putting a hard limit on the disk number. After all even
>if a floppy FC was possible today no one would go through the hassle of
>feeding hundreds of disks in the reader to make use of it.
>
>Just have the network install kick ass (a one-stage install from the
>first CD not like I heard minimal install then boot then yum then
>whatever) and no one will care the about number of isos anymore (because
>mags will only ship the first CD and people with no network connectivity
>will the the last to complain FC isos are numerous enough they won't
>miss anything once they burnt them).
>
>If you can do full livecds now it's certainly possible to pack a smart
>network installer on a single disk right ?

The biggest hassle when doing a network install is having to type in an
ftp/http URL manually. Having a central mirror list accessible by
XML-RPC or similar, with a failsafe list on the CD and the possibility
to supply it manually would greatly simplify network installs.

Ideally, one would select location/timezone first, then get a sane
mirror suggestion based on geographical proximity.

I guess probing the subnet for NFS/SMB servers (and ftp/http for that
matter) would be nice too :-)

/Peter Backlund