reducing distribution CD count

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 23:48:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:31:54 +0000, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> There's no point in maintaining dropped packages in Extras until Fedora
> can actually handle Extras properly.

That's a bit over the top....
there is most certaintly benefit it maintaining dropped packages in Extras.

is it the ideal situation? no... but if Red Hat decides to drop
anything for whatever reason...
space constraints, labor constraints, phase of the moon, or pure
malicious spite, whatever reason... there is certaintly benefit to the
community at large in providing those packages in Extras if there is a
community member willing to maintain the package.

We can argue all day and all night about the reasons why packages are
dropped from Core...
as the multiple threads on the topic have proven....but if the
alternative is to not have the package available at all or to have the
package available in Extras... clearly.. there is benefit in
maintaining it in Extras compared to letting go unpackaged.

Holding our collective breath while we cross our arms and make 4 year
old pouting faces in an effort to demand the decision be reversed only
makes a bad situation worse.    Packages  are dropped pretty much
every release.. even back in rhl.  We can dislike the decision... but
at the end of the day its better of having the packages available than
not if there are people to maintain it in Extras and a demand for it.

-jef"takes his ball and goes home... oh wait i am home"spaleta