FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Feb 25 15:59:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 15:47 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 10:08 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> >anaconda does disable normal dep checking if it can't resolve something,
> >that's true - however, it doesn't remove stuff.
>
> Let's consider an example. You have an FC2 system with Acrobat 7
> installed, which uses libcurl.so.2.
>
> You update to FC3. What does anaconda do with the curl-7.11.1-1 package
> and hence /usr/lib/libcurl.so.2? Does it not remove it and replace it
> with a new package that no longer provides libcurl.so.2?
>
> My understanding is that anaconda will remove the old curl package and
> install a new one,

That's called upgrading, not removing stuff :)

> and that the Acrobat reader will no longer run. Are
> you suggesting that that's that _not_ what happens? That anaconda
> doesn't remove stuff? That out-of-Core packages don't ever get broken by
> upgrades?

What Seth means by anaconda not removing stuff is that in your example,
assuming that acroread was installed as an rpm, anaconda wouldn't remove
acroread because it's dependencies couldn't be matched, it just leaves
the package with it's broken dependencies alone.

	- Panu -