FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Eric Warnke eric at snowmoon.com
Fri Feb 25 20:07:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, seth vidal wrote:

>> I think everyone wants the same things, to make sure FC4 does not turn
>> into an end user nightmare.  Personally my vote would be for 5 cd's until
>> a true fix can be applied rather than a last minute pulling of packages.
>> But seeing as that may not be happening.
>
> That's been true forever if you EVER installed a former release  and
> either:
> 1. had ANY package removed which you used (lprng anyone?)

lprng was never part of core ( afaict )

> 2. ever installed something from fedora.us, freshrpms, dagrpms, atrpms,

I don't install things from fedora.us, freshrpms, dag, ... if I need
something outside core I rebuild it, test it and deploy it in a local
repo.  I don't think it's unreasonable to let the user know that they are
breaking there system in anaconda.

But that's not the point.  FC1 was 3 discs, FC2 was 4 discs and there was
a grand total of 21 packages removed ( list below ) and 128 additional
packages.  FC3 was 4 discs as well and there were 53 packages removed from
the system ( list below ) and 78 additions.  Of these packages removed
MOST were because java was pulled and therefore the associated packages
were also pulled.  Looking at these lists it's clear that the vast
majority of these packages were removed because or age, or neglect.

In contrast, with this round of cuts you are asking for and removing
packages that are not neglected or obsolete but packages at that are
regularly used by members of this list.

I don't think it's outragious of the community to ask why those packages
have been removed with such haste?  Why a 5 disc FC4 is such a problem?
Why not better inform the user with anaconda?  Might I remind RedHat that
they floated the question to the community without any standards of what
or why.  No attempt has been made to clarify the exact ammount of space
that need to be made up.  No one has attempted to bzip2 packages that
might save space.  Between suggestions already made we could reduce the
overage by half.  Careful inspection of the packages could reveal more
dead packages and then larger items could be examined for cutting.

Cheers,
Eric

Packages removed from FC2
-Xbae