XFCE packages gone?

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Feb 25 21:35:44 UTC 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 14:55, seth vidal wrote:
> The Fedora Core Technical Committee made the decisions.  That's Cristian
> Gafton, Jeremy Katz, Elliot Lee and Bill Nottingham.
>
> I know you're unlikely to accept this but could we go with 'b/c these
> guys have been doing this for a long time so trust them'.

Yes, I trust their descisions.

At one time with Red Hat Linux there was a companion CD called "Powertools"
which had some extra stuff useful to many but not part of the Red Hat Linux
core.  Then many (not all) Powertools packages were merged into the
distribution and the rest were dropped to be handled by others.

Maybe we need to segment Fedora Extras into two parts.  There are lots and
lots of packages in Fedora Extras and to expect all of those to be thoroughly
tested with a new distribution is more that a bit optimistic.  Maybe if there
was a "Extras 1" which had the packages removed from core as well as some
others from the current Extras and then the rest of the current Extras
packages into "Extras 2", this could be made more managable.

"Extras 1" could be the 5th CD (or even 5th and 6th CDs) and not increase the
size of the Core distribution while providing a collection useful to many.

"Extras 1" would have a real push to be tested with the Core and any problems
resolved but "Extras 2" would continue with the current process.
--
Gene