FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 26 14:08:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, February 25, 2005 11:43 pm, Colin Charles said:

Hey colin,

> All major open source projects have closed lists to keep the s/n ratio
> down for other development discussions. We're following the model GNOME
> used for gnome-hackers and gnome-hackers-readonly

This is a little bit of an exaggeration; several prominent open source
projects do not have a closed list.

> (though they then made the mistake of desktop-devel-list which became
> rather noisy, again)

Noise may be a fair tradeoff if opening things up also leads to additional
valuable input.

> No. If a community member not on fedora-maintainers reads something in
> fedora-maintainers-readonly, I'm sure the thread can be continued on in
> fedora-devel-list

Not if you want the readonly list membership to see it.   And if they have
to read the devel-list too, you haven't accomplished anything.

> No. Folk will still read fedora-devel, and don't feel left out by it

Who are you speaking for, and how do you know?   Certainly people who
don't often contribute may well have a valuable insight that will be
harder to share.   Such a person is bound to feel left out.

> Also, the other thing to keep in mind is that getting a package
> maintained isn't too hard, and the Extras process is now, open. My last
> cvs sync gave me about 572 packages in Extras; last time I checked with
> the "universe" of packages that another major distribution had, they fit
> an entire 2 DVDs iirc. So contribute more packages, I guess, and lets
> make Fedora rock (harder)!

I don't see what this has to do with keeping the lists open to
contributions from those who might not have contributed before.  The
people who believe Fedora is better served by avoiding closed lists want
to improve Fedora just as much.

Cheers,
Sean