Why is sendmail bad?

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sat Feb 26 17:23:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:05:11AM -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I can understand queuing, in case the real server is down. That can be the
> simple-minded queuing implemented by most MUA's. But why aliases? Shouldn't
> those also be handled by the real server?

System daemons and server applications often send mail to system
accounts.  These and root mail need to be aliased to a real person who
is going to be reading the mail from them.  The mappings are often
server-specific, or at least department-specific, and cannot be stored
on the central mail server.  I'm not talking about huge mailing lists
or hosting virtual mail accounts, just providing the basic
functionality that the default /etc/aliases from sendmail
demonstrates.