exim removed :( (was: rawhide report: 20050224 changes)

Féliciano Matias feliciano.matias at free.fr
Sat Feb 26 23:58:19 UTC 2005

Le samedi 26 février 2005 à 23:13 +0000, David Woodhouse a écrit :
> On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 23:30 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >That's sad, as exim is the most promising MTA out there already
> >outperforming its competitors. It also doesn't take any space to speak
> >of (10MB).
>
> It's far less than that -- it's 1721KiB. We gain almost no space by
> dropping it.
>
> I'm somewhat ignorant of Postfix so I could be wrong, but I don't
> believe it duplicates the functionality available from Exim.
>
> I've already posted a few examples of things which Exim in FC3 could
> handle, to see if someone most Postfix-aware than I can show how to do
> the same in Postfix. Nobody's taken that challenge yet.

Which distribution use exim by default ?
Debian ?
Other ?

Does the license matter ?
exim : GPL
postfix : IBM Public License

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
        IBM Public License, Version 1.0

                This is a free software license but it is incompatible
                with the GPL.

                The IBM Public License is incompatible with the GPL
                because it has various specific requirements that are
                not in the GPL.

                For example, it requires certain patent licenses be
                given that the GPL does not require. (We don't think
                those patent license requirements are inherently a bad
                idea, but nonetheless they are incompatible with the GNU
                GPL.)

Just curious.