Package pruning for FC4 and beyond

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Sun Feb 27 09:38:35 UTC 2005

Dnia 26-02-2005, sob o godzinie 09:24 -0500, Eric Warnke napisał(a):
> jed - another text mode editor
> joe - yet another text editor ( nano / pico / emacs / ed / vi )
> lftp - useful ftp client ( ftp, ncftp ) D:0
Just like desktop environments, it's really hard to say one editor can
substitute another. Unlike DE-s, text editors are rather small (I use
joe - 200 KiB RPM file, even nano having 1% of joe features is bigger)
and removing them doesn't give this much benefit (meaning saved space)
as removing f.e. KDE (since GNOME is the default, why haven't you list
KDE? :)).

I say let's move vi to Extras - an editor which can't be left with ^C
deserves this! :)

Is pico part of Rawhide now? I thought its licence is the same as pine's
and can't be included, besides, you're using FC3 rpmdb and pico can't be
found there.

Can ed be thought of as a replacement for any full-screen text
editor? :)

Of course I won't go mad if joe is going to be moved to Extras,
downloading 200 KiB will take only 20 seconds on my link, so go ahead,
make my life harder and not gain anything for the Core :)

Lam