"vanilla" kernel closest to Fedora kernel

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Sat Jan 1 06:47:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 04:01:08PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Yeap, i thought about that, but the problem is that the developers of
> the patch (driver) may ignore bug reports from people not using the
> vanilla kernel. I know that the Fedora kernel is not too bastardized
> (it's pretty close to vanilla, like Arjan said) but... <shrug>

IME the vanilla kernel (2.6.9 anyway; I haven't tried 2.6.10 yet) works
well enough with Fedora.

FWIW, if you end up going with 2.6.9, then after you get vanilla 2.6.9
working, you may want to try a 2.6.9-ac kernel (e.g. 2.6.9-ac16). IIRC
2.6.9-ac is more up-to-date in terms of security fixes than vanilla
2.6.9, and the ac patches are less invasive than the Fedora ones so it's
easier to merge them with 3rd-party patches. (At least, that's my
experience.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>