some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 03:45:34 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) said:
> As people have already pointed again in this thread... there is a
> communication gap in what kudzu wants as a configuration for some
> devices.. and what local admin/user wants.  Is the hal/network-manager
> software stack suppose to provide the missing piece of the puzzle so
> that kudzu doesn't have to deal with site specific configs?

It's part of it.

Realistically, the only sort of device that has a lot of site-local
configuration is a network card; for most other things you don't care.

Hence, where we're probably going to end up is that kudzu will, at
most, handle things like modprobe.conf aliases for networking;
actual config will be handled by something like NetworkManager,
and system-config-network.

Bill