some changes for (slightly) faster boot

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Jan 5 03:38:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 16:25 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 04:01:40PM -0500, Bryan Clark wrote:
> > Your logic across all of this weighs on the fact that it is difficult
> > for admins to setup defaults or for users to share defaults among
> > machines.  Say we were to change that problem, then these would all be
> > per-user preferences again, yes? :-)
>
> per-user per-system in some cases. I use the same /home from US and UK
> keyboards and 3 different display sizes. I'm sure that isn't too unusual

You can actually convince gconf to deal with that (if you want to go
command line) by adding a ~/.gconf.<systemid>, setting systemid in some
env variable, adding ~/.gconf.path to include ~/.gconf.$(ENV_<whatever>)

A bit hacky but it does the job. I don't really have a clue how we'd
expose this in the GUI, anyhow, other than just automatically saving
things keyed by screen size or other hardware attributes.

Havoc