festival 1.95 anyone?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jan 6 18:25:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:55:25AM -0800, Stephen Pollei wrote:
> Yes tts is kind of neat. I wonder how festival compares to
> http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php ?
> Also while you are talking about speech, what about
> http://www.digium.com/ and http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/sphinx4/ .

FreeTTS and Sphinx4 are both Java, so they're out.

And it actually looks like FreeTTS is derived from "Flite", which is
"festival-light".

Hmmm. Flite may actually be what I want. My whole goal in updating is to get
the "arctic" voices from <http://festvox.org/voicedemos.html> -- they're way
better than the "kal" and "ked" voices that are pretty much the only option
with the current package. Wonder if Flite can do that....