what USB-2 CF reader is alleged to work?

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 14:39:54 UTC 2005

Jamie Zawinski wrote:

 > I'm sorry for asking what you may think is a total newbie question, but
 > my inability to reliably get pictures off my camera has reached comical
 > proportions at this point.  In the last few years, I've gone through
 > permutations of three different motherboards, three different CF
 > readers, and some subset of RH8, RH9, FC2, and FC3, and to this day, the
 > best way I've found to get pictures off my camera's card has been "plug
 > it into my girlfriend's mac, and use scp."
 >
 > So here is my question:
 >
 > Are any of you running FC3 and able to get pictures off of a
 > CompactFlash card at USB-2 speeds?  If so, what CF reader are you
using?  Because I want to go out and buy one of those.

Hi Jamie,

I happen to have Belkin CF card reader
(http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=200516&pcount=&Product_Id=122859&Section.Section_Path=%2FROOT%2FUSB%2FMediaReaders%2Fct_Id%3E#)
that works without problems. It's USB 1.1 so not too fast. Works with RH
9, Fedora Core 2 and 3.

My motherboard is Epox 8KHA+ with latest BIOS -- I had to update BIOS
because when the card reader was plugged in during reboot and a CF card
was in, BIOS hanged. Had to remove flash card and reboot again. No
problem after BIOS upgrade.

Regards,
Dariusz

--