HAL policies for port. music players

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 23:07:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:10:29 -0500, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> Sure, there will be proponents of ditching fstab-sync, people
> will scream "oh, so how do you expect I mount by cdrom from the
> command line, gimme back my /etc/fstab line for /dev/cdrom",
> but personally, I think the trade off of improved desktop UI
> versus command line users is worth that. Command line users
> probably know how to an entry themselves, otherwise they
> wouldn't be using the command line in the first place :-)

I personally like the idea of removing the dynamically controlled
mountpoint from /etc/fstab completely. autofs controlled mountpoints
already don't use fstab so its not like moving hal facilitated mounts
out of fstab sets a new precedent.  If the non-fstab future can be
encoded into desktop ui.. im sure it can be encoded into some sort of
cli tool for cli usage to interact with hal in a similar way.

-jef