HAL policies for port. music players

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Mon Jan 10 12:52:24 UTC 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:14:59 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> What I'm guessing most users want to do is add and remove files for use
> on the device itself later, which needs to be done with a front end
> that speaks to the devices library database. Thus I would think most
> users want an _application_ to be able to talk to it, which can be
> accomplished by mounting the device when the application wants it.

That's true for the iPod but some players like the iAudio just use a FAT
drive and you can add/remove files from it using raw Nautilus.

OK so that doesn't give you the best experience as right now Nautilus
insists on putting a trash can on the player, and also Nautilus can't sync
two directories together. I started writing an app to do all this but
realised it'd be a lot easier to do it manually, I don't load new music
*that* often ;)