Multiple MySQL servers

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Mon Jan 10 16:25:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 04:13:07PM +0000, Cristiano Bianchi wrote:

> we have a Fedora2 box, with MySQL 4.0.x, which came with the
> distribution. It seems that Fedora spreads MySQL stuff all over the
> place (for instance all binaries are in /usr/bin/, instead of
> /usr/local/mysql...). I cannot find my.cnf and mysql.sock as well.

Look in /etc resp. /var/run for these...  MySQL is packaged as it
should be, according to current filesystem standards.

> I would like to install MySQL 4.1 alongside the 4.0 and run both. It
> seems possible, but I cannot (I think) download the RPM as it would
> replace the 4.0. If I follow the instructions on the MySQL site, I get
> nowhere. Is there anyone who can point me in some directions?

No, the package does not provide the possibility to install multiple
versions in parallel.  In that case, you might want to install the
second version manually in a separate tree.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>