HAL policies for port. music players

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Tue Jan 11 01:08:54 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:52:24 +0000, Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
>

>>OK so that doesn't give you the best experience as right now Nautilus
>>insists on putting a trash can on the player
>>

>The trashcan on removable volume has come up before. But if you look
>at David's list technical items, maybe there is room in the per-device
>properties concept to include the ability to disable the trash can for
>specific devices.  So not only can you decide per-device if you want a
>certain application to launch when you insert it, but you can also set
>whether or not the device gets a trash can as part of an extended
>per-device set of properties.
>
>-jef

In fact i just brought this up over at nautilus because i had a problem
with not being able to "delete" a file in the GUI without configuring
the filemanager (it is a file manager after all). I understand and value
the concept of a "trash can/recycle bin" and i even think that the
default behavior is correct (send to trash on delete key) but i think
that you should be able to circumvent the trash (via shift+del or even
Edit > Delete) without resorting to configuring the application. I do
think that the perdevice configuration is valuable but a good set of
default capabilities goes a long way and is much less user work intensive.

Michael Favia          michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Insites Incorporated  http://michael.insitesinc.com