Reopen a request for gpgme in Core

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Wed Jan 12 14:32:25 UTC 2005

tir, 11.01.2005 kl. 23.29 skrev cs at zip.com.au:
> On 12:04 08 Jan 2005, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> | On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 15:27 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> | > in this way _no_ mail reader needs extending because each remote service is
> | > apparently a local ordinary service. [...]
> | > I find it extremely convenient.
> |
> | It's a cute hack, but it doesn't seem to be as convenient as the way
> | that Evolution, pine and mutt do it for me transparently. Especially as
> | the mail servers I use tend not to have an IMAP d??mon listening at all,
> | and as it still doesn't perform the authentication for you in the way
> | that using SSH directly does -- your IMAP client would still need to
> | store a password.
>
> Sure, or get me to type it, but on the other hand the place I most do
> IMAP to doesn't give file-level access to the mail spool files. So I
> can't "ssh in and run an IMAP _daemon_", so a real IMAP connection is
> still required, so a password is _still_ required because ssh will only
> get you as far as the shell server.
>
> I don't just do IMAP this way. I do pop this way too, and point fetchmail
> at "zip.local" for that, too. And IRC. And you can generally get at any
> service this way. If you're routinely inside a firewall that doesn't
> allow much out but does allow ssh, you're in business and your tools
> don't need to know anything special.

So all you need to establish a vpn'ish connection to somewhere is that
the site is running an accessable sshd?

What about stuffing this into neat etc? It could be super-easy to setup
on the server-side, and with a few good point'n'click's you could have
it super-easy to setup on the client as well...