Fedora Core 4

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sat Jan 15 01:20:42 UTC 2005

fre, 14.01.2005 kl. 23.30 skrev Bill Nottingham:
> A Fedora Core 4 proto-schedule is available at:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/
>
> Generally, it's 3 4-week test releases, with a release in early/mid May.
>
> So, what's planned for Fedora Core 4? Here's what we're looking
> at from the Red Hat side of things:
>
> - GCC 4, if it's ready
>
>   We're not planning on holding for it, but if it's out in a
>   reasonable time, sure. Failing that, we're looking at making
>   more of the FORTIFY_SOURCE and other gcc & glibc security extensions
>   integrated, if at all possible.

How will this affect backwards compat?

> - The usual new stuff - GNOME 2.10, KDE 3.4, Xorg 6.8.2,
>    OpenOffice 2.0 (maybe), etc.

	Ooh... OO 2 would be great! :) Any plans for gnome 2.10? Where?

> - Xen and Virtualization
>
>   This starts by integrating the Xen kernel stuff, and going
>   from there.

Hmm.. Xen is quite similar to VMWare, or am i totaly wrong?

> - SELinux Episode III: Revenge of the AVC
>
>   Yet more targets in the targeted policy.
>
> - Faster boot
>
>   Eliminating redundancy and old cruft in the bootup process,
>   starting GDM early if possible, using newer and faster
>   udev codebases, and other related tweaks.

Hum-di-dum :)

> - Java
>
>   More native-compiled GCJ stuff. Including Eclipse.

Compitability? Effect on OpenOffice?

> - Package management
>
>   GUI integration of system-config-packages, yum, and friends.

:D:D:D

> - more networking changes
>
>   Further integration of NetworkManager

:)

> - PPC support
>
>   For your brand spanking new MiniMac, or the p655 under your
>   desk.
>
> - Extras at launch time. Or else.
>
>   Hopefully, self explanatory. Could coincide with the move
>   of some bits from Core to Extras. In fact, some of the
>   stuff on this list of features may *be* in Extras.

Great!
> Probably other stuff that I'm forgetting in here. I'm sure
> more people can remind me.
>
> Bill

What about better lingua support - being able to post-installation
install more languages, dont have all of those damn spellcheckers i dont
need (but have the ones i need) installed in OO etc.?

All in all, this was a lot more than i hoped for. Now i almost have an
exuse for updating this thrusty old fc2 box :)

Kyrre