RFC: Optimizing for 386

Nick Bargnesi nbargnesi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:27:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:08:22 -0600, Joseph D. Wagner
<technojoecoolusa at charter.net> wrote:
> I can count the total number of people in the world who still use a 386 on the fingers of both of my hands.  Why are we still catering to this small group of people?
>
> With the exception of the kernel and glibc, all RPM's are optimized for 386 architecture.

Acckk!  All RPM's are optimized for i386?  But I'm running x86_64!
Who let 3 out of the cage with this showstopper?  Where's the errata?
:)

This is a waste of system resources.  Study after study shows that you
can achieve a 10% - 40% performance improvement my optimizing code for
a specific architecture.  Windows XP may only be optimized for a
Pentium, but by golly, at least the whole thing is optimized, not just
the kernel and the C library.