Smartrpm was (Re: Fedora Core 4)

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Thu Jan 20 19:00:53 UTC 2005

Jonathan Andrews wrote:

>Isn't this just a packaging niceness, divide packages into arch and
>noarch halves and the problem goes away - or am I being naive ?

Well, naive.

Packages are marked
    0 uncolored
    1 elf32
    2 elf64
dep0ending on what is contained within (i.e. a pkg that contains an elf32
binary will have color == 1. No package has both elf32 and elf64 yet, but
the mechanism can/will support when someone is daft enough to try.)

and one has to choose, say, the elf64 package to upgrade an elf64 package.
Then the usual mechanism, choose closest matching arch, say,
preferring i586 over i386 on i686 (except for kernel which is a whole
differerent selection mechanism).

But mutilib (or biarch if you prefer) has nothing whatsoever to do with
arch or "noarch"
tags in packages.

73 de Jeff