Fedora updates CD-ROM?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jan 21 02:54:20 UTC 2005

On 01/20/2005 06:30:41 PM, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> I recently installed FC3 and had to go through the update procedure
> and
> download several hundreds of megabytes.
>
> I could imagine that once or twice an Updates CD-ROM would be
> released.
> The Fedora installer might ask after an installation for the user to
> insert an Updates CD-ROM if available, and perform the required
> updates.

http://mpeters.us/linux/fedora_c3_updates.php

It's not from RH/Fedora, it's my own creation (created nightly from
cron - lftp mirror - so it is always fresh) but all the updates are
from Fedora - and signed by the Fedora GPG key.

I use it when setting up someone on Fedora who can't bring their PC to
my house, it brings there boxes right up to patch level easily and
painlessly.

Put DVD in, run autorun, and it updates the system through yum from the
CD (w/o altering your system yum configuration, and respecting any
excludes in main yum.conf or /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo)

There's also another company that for $99.00 a year (I think - I might
have that wrong) sends you new install CD's every month that have all
the updates integrated right into Anaconda - which is the better
solution probably for the IT department that does a lot of Fedora
installs.

I don't remember the companies name, but I suspect someone here will.