rawhide report: 20050120 changes

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Jan 21 07:19:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:41:51PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 03:01:37PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
>  > > kernel-2.6.10-1.1103_FC4
>  > > ------------------------
>  > > * Wed Jan 19 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
>  > > - Re-add diskdump/netdump based on Jeff Moyers patches.
>  > > - Rebase to -bk7
>  >
>  > why is this gunk added back to the fedora kernel?
>  > I can see trying to get kexec-dump working instead as useful, but
>  > diskdump/netdump? God no.
>
> It's a transitional thing until upstream has something that's usable.

ok that makes me wonder if diskdump offers value to fedora users at all; it
doesn't work with lvm (which is the default installation) for example.

> The kernel-side is still seeing quite a lot of churn judging by
> the amount of change seen in yesterdays -mm update, and userspace
> is clearly lacking.

I thought this was rawhide. Also it's a chicken and egg situation; userspace
is somewhat there (at least in prototype form) but it will never get there
unless some kernels ship/enable the kernel side